eggs, hard boiled and shelled
long grain rice
medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
mild curry paste
tin of tuna, drained
fresh parsley, chopped
squeeze of lemon
sea salt and black pepper
Preheat oven to 160°C/300°F/Gas Mark 3
- Cook the frozen peas in boiling water for 3 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Roughly chop the eggs. Add a pinch of salt to a large pan of boiling water, add the rice and return to the boil, stir well, reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 15 minutes or until the rice is tender, drain in a sieve and set aside.
- Heat the oil and butter in a heavy bottomed sauté pan, add the chopped onions, curry paste and cumin seeds and fry until the onion is cooked, but not brown, stirring all the time. This will take about 3 minutes.
- Then add the rice, peas and tuna to the cooked onions and mix in well. Cover and place in the oven for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the oven, add the roughly chopped eggs, parsley and lemon juice and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
- Serve with a green salad.
The less water you use when cooking peas, the less vitamin C is lost. Steaming helps to conserve this vitamin. When boiling frozen peas, add enough water to cover, bring to the boil and then cover and simmer for 3 minutes. To microwave 227 grams (8oz) of frozen peas add 15ml (1 tablespoon) of water, place in a non metallic container and cover. Cook on full power for 4 minutes (750W) or 4 1/2 minutes (650W).
Info per serving
* The nutritional information relating to a prepared statement after serving (190g)
**GDA = Guideline Daily intake based on a food intake of 2,000 kcal. Personal requirements vary depending on age, sex, weight and physical activity.