Oil for deep frying
potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
rump steak, thinly sliced
cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
ginger, peeled and finely chopped
red chilli, finely chopped
coriander, finely chopped, plus some leaves to garnish
onions, peeled and cut into rings
good beef stock
Juice of two lemons
tomatoes, peeled and chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a heavy based saucepan, one third full.
- Deep fry the potato cubes until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper. Place the steak in a bowl. Add the garlic, black pepper, ginger, chilli and coriander and toss well.
- Heat the oil and fry the steak in small batches over a high heat. Reduce the heat and fry the onion until soft and golden. Remove from the pan and keep with the beef.
- Put the stock, tomato paste, soy sauce, chilli powder and lemon juice into the pan, bring to the boil and reduce slightly. Add the fried onion, tomatoes and peas. Stir well and cook for 2 minutes. Add the beef and the potatoes.
- Serve with naan bread and mango chutney.
- Toss well until heated through and garnish with coriander leaves.
The less water you use when cooking peas, the less vitamin C is lost. Steaming helps to conserve this vitamin. When boiling frozen peas, add enough water to cover, bring to the boil and then cover and simmer for 3 minutes. To microwave 227 grams (8oz) of frozen peas add 15ml (1 tablespoon) of water, place in a non metallic container and cover. Cook on full power for 4 minutes (750W) or 4 1/2 minutes (650W).
Info per serving
* The nutritional information relating to a prepared statement after serving (190g)
**GDA = Guideline Daily intake based on a food intake of 2,000 kcal. Personal requirements vary depending on age, sex, weight and physical activity.