There are a range of ways to cook frozen peas. Some of you will have a particular preference, some will like to mix it up and others will be set in their ways. Below are 3 ways to cook and enjoy frozen peas, whether as a side dish or part of a main meal. With each method, the aim is to allow the peas to retain their high nutritional value while maximising the taste and flavour.
Seasoning is a great way to get your peas just how you like them. One of our favourites is a combination of a little salt, pepper and butter, it never fails. If you are stuck for ideas or want to get more creative with your peas then you can check out our pea recipe hub for inspiration. Lunches, snacks, dinners, sides and even desserts can be found in our pea recipe collection.
Boiling Frozen Peas
Boiling frozen peas couldn't be simpler. You can follow these instructions to add peas to any meal:
1. Add enough water to cover the peas.
2. Don't add additional salt because this will cause the peas to toughen up.
3. Bring the water to the boil.
4. Cover the pan and allow the peas to simmer for 3 minutes.
It is important to note that boiling can lead to the loss of some nutrients. Try steaming to get the maximum nutrition from the cooked little green peas.
Microwaving Frozen Peas
A great option to enjoy peas is microwaving. It is a quick and easy way to get one of your five a day. Using a microwave saves on the washing up too, which is always a bonus.
To microwave 227 grams (8oz) of frozen peas, you can follow these steps:
1. Place the peas in a non-metallic microwaveable container.
2. Add a tablespoon of water (15ml) to the peas.
3. Cook on full power for 4 minutes (750W).
4. Spoon onto your plate and enjoy.
Peas from packet to plate in just 4 minutes. Simple!
Steaming Frozen Peas
Steaming is fast becoming one of the most popular ways to enjoy frozen peas. By steaming, you are helping to retain the nutritional value of peas. Like the other methods, this is a quick and easy way to enjoy your peas in just a few minutes. You can follow these simple steps:
1. Add 5-8cm of water to the water of your pan and boil the water.
2. Once the water has come to the boil, place a steaming basket over the water. It is important the basket isn't touching the water.
3. Once the basket is secure, add the frozen vegetables and cover the pan with a lid.
4. After 2-3 minutes your peas will be cooked and ready to serve.