When you hear “healthy food” what’s the first thing that comes to mind? Maybe a salad? Don’t get us wrong, salads are delicious and a great low-carb option which can be jazzed up with protein and cheese, however sometimes you might just fancy something a little more substantial. If leafy greens just aren’t your bag, then keep reading to find out about our easy and healthy recipes that go beyond salad. These healthy balanced meals are sure to get your family’s taste buds tingling.
Healthy Chicken Recipes
1. Chargrilled Chicken Pittas
Take your sandwich game to the next level and try our chicken pitta recipe. This easy, healthy recipe is perfect for school packed lunches or an easy weeknight dinner.
- Pre-heat your oven to 190 degrees and cook your chicken chargrills on a baking tray for around 20 minutes
- While these are cooking, chop and plate the cucumber, tomatoes, black olives and feta cheese
- Pour over the extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon
- Sprinkle some dried oregano over your salad
- Toast your pitta bread to your liking
- Stuff the pittas with the Greek salad mix and chicken. Enjoy!
2. Peri-Peri Chicken and Rice
If you’re on the lookout for a tasty chicken recipe that’s bursting with flavour, then you have to try Peri-Peri chicken and rice. Marinated in the perfect amount of spice, this is a great healthy dinner idea that the whole family will love.
- Cook your Peri-Peri chicken grills as per pack instructions
- Cook rice as per pack instructions
- Cook your sweetcorn and allow to cool completely
- Chop up pineapple, onion and chilli and mix with the sweetcorn
- Drain your rice and mix with some chopped coriander
- When your chicken is ready, place on top of your rice and pineapple salsa mix!
3. Chicken Pesto Pasta
Known as a university student staple, our chicken pesto pasta is a great choice if you’re looking for a hassle-free meal that will please even the fussiest of eaters. This comfort-food classic will make you feel all warm and cosy inside.
- Pop your chargrilled chicken breasts in the oven with some tomatoes until fully cooked
- Cook your pasta
- In another saucepan, boil your peas until cooked through
- Drain your pasta and stir in some pesto (red or green – you pick!), peas and sweetcorn
- Take your chicken and tomatoes out and layer on top of your pasta pea mix. Enjoy!
Healthy Vegetarian Recipes
1. Edamame beans stir-fry
If you’re fancying some Asian-inspired cuisine and want to keep things healthy, then definitely try our edamame beans stir fry recipe. This is a great option if you’re looking for healthy dinner ideas [GC2]that don’t sacrifice flavour.
- Heat the oil in a wok and add chopped garlic, celery and spring onions. Fry for 1 minute.
- Add peppers, mushrooms and edamame beans and fry for a couple more minutes
- Add bean sprouts, soy and chilli sauce and cook for 2 more minutes
- Finish off with some orange zest and voila!
2. Pea and Roasted Garlic Soup
Who said soups have to be boring? We’ve got an easy, healthy recipe for the ultimate pea and roasted garlic soup. Serve with a spoonful of crème fraiche and you’re onto a winter-warmer winner.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees
- Peel the garlic and place the cloves in some tin foil to roast for 20 minutes
- Fry your onion, carrots and celery in a little butter or oil for 5 minutes
- Add your peas to the pan
- Add vegetable stock and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes
- Remove the garlic for the oven. Once cool, squeeze the garlic into the pea soup and roughly puree
- Add white wine, a splash of cream and blend till smooth
- Season to taste (we like adding chives too!)
If you want more soup-spiration, then check out our list of soup recipes for even more easy healthy dinner ideas.
3. Vegan Tortillas
If you are vegan, or just fancy a plant-based meal that’s super healthy, then try our vegan tortilla recipe. Made with a meat-free mix from our Green Cuisine range, this is a great healthy dinner recipe that you can make together as a family!
- Cook our Mexican style mix as per pack instructions
- Warm your tortillas of choice in the microwave or oven
- Fill the wrap with your meat-free mix, chopped coriander and a squeeze of lime juice
- Add a little sour cream and vegan cheese if you fancy, and there you go!
There are plenty of easy healthy recipes to get stuck into on our website. If you’re curious about healthy eating, have a look at our healthy balanced diet hub for all the nutritional information you need to help feed your family well.