Chicken is not only nutritious, but it’s also highly versatile, and can be used in a huge variety of balanced meals.
Balanced meals should be made up of 3 key components- vegetables, starchy carbohydrates (such as potatoes, pasta, rice and bread), and a protein source. Because they’re so healthy, we should aim to eat 5 portions of fruits and vegetables, hence our meals should include vegetables to make sure we eat enough. Our meals should also contain a good portion of starchy carbohydrates, as these provide energy and a range of nutrients. Finally, we all need to make sure we eat enough good quality protein to stay healthy, so at least 1 protein source should be added into every meal.
A little inspiration
Whether you need a quick but balanced evening meal, or have time to make something a bit more adventurous, here are some ideas:
- The classic: A Birds Eye chicken product of your choice, our peas and another vegetable, and boiled or baked potatoes- a meal that’s quick and simple, yet filling and packed with nutrients
- The stir fry: Our Birds Eye chicken grills, sliced, and mixed with stir fried mixed vegetables, brown or wild rice, and a stir fry sauce of your choice (check the label to make sure you choose one that’s not too high in salt or sugar!).
- The pasta: A Birds Eye plain chicken product of your choice, sliced, and mixed with al dente pasta and a mix of green vegetables (peas, spinach, broccoli, soya beans, etc.), in a half fat crème fraiche and wholegrain mustard sauce.
- The burger: Our Birds Eye chicken burgers, in wholemeal or seeded rolls, with a little sliced avocado inside for creaminess. Served with a large salad on the side, made up of your favourite salad vegetables.
- The fajitas: Our Birds Eye chicken grills, sliced, in tortillas or seeded wraps, with a tangy tomato salsa, salad leaves, grilled onions and peppers, and a little crème fraiche. Serve with a side of sweetcorn salsa salad Birds Eye sweetcorn, cooked and cooled, with chopped tomatoes, coriander, and a little chilli), and, if you like, guacamole, for a flavour-packed family feast.
For more chicken meal inspiration, visit our recipes section.
These are just a few suggestions, but if you remember the 3 key components of a balanced meal, you’re sure to cook some delicious and nutritious inventions of your own!
What’s so good about chicken?
As chicken is a great lean source of protein, our Birds Eye chicken products can, therefore, be combined with vegetables and carbohydrates to create a great variety of delicious yet healthy meals. Where possible, try to use wholegrain breads and pasta, and brown rice, to boost your fibre intake. And remember to use our Birds Eye vegetables, as frozen veg is just as good as fresh nutritionally, yet helps reduce waste!