garlic (peeled and crushed)
1 good dash
mushrooms (wiped and sliced)
braising beef (cut into 2cm cubes seasoned flour)
medium carrots (peeled and chopped into 2cm sticks)
medium onions (peeled and diced)
good beef stock
self raising flour
of baking powder
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3.
- Toss the cubed beef in the seasoned flour. Heat the oil and butter in a heavy casserole dish over a high heat. Add the meat in batches and brown on all sides, remove the meat from the pan and set aside. Add the onions to the pan with the carrots and mushrooms and brown them lightly in the fat used to brown the meat. Add the garlic, thyme, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree and sugar, combine well and cook for a further 1 minute. Return the meat to the pan, add the red wine, stock and chopped parsley and season with salt and black pepper. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly then cover and cook in the preheated oven for 2 - 2½ hours until the meat is tender.
- Meanwhile make the dumplings. Mix the flour, suet, peas, horseradish, salt, black pepper and baking powder together and gradually add enough water to form a firm but pliable dough. Divide the dough into 8 equally sized pieces and gently shape into balls with floured hands.
- Take the casserole out of the oven. If the sauce is too thick add a little more stock. Discard the bay leaf and the thyme and allow to stand for a few minutes. Skim off the excess fat and check the seasoning.
- Turn the oven up to 180°C/350°C/Gas Mark 4, place the dumplings on top of the casserole, cover with a tight lid and cook for 20 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
The less water you use when cooking peas, the less vitamin C is lost. Steaming helps to conserve this vitamin. When boiling frozen peas, add enough water to cover, bring to the boil and then cover and simmer for 3 minutes. To microwave 227 grams (8oz) of frozen peas add 15ml (1 tablespoon) of water, place in a non metallic container and cover. Cook on full power for 4 minutes (750W) or 4 1/2 minutes (650W)
WHAT OUR CONSUMERS THINK
Write a review Cancel
Be the first to review this product
Info per serving
* The nutritional information relating to a prepared statement after serving (190g)
**GDA = Guideline Daily intake based on a food intake of 2,000 kcal. Personal requirements vary depending on age, sex, weight and physical activity.