How to cook frozen salmon on the grill:
1) Preheat the grill to medium-high heat (or around 190°C).
2) Remove the salmon from its packaging and wash away any ice crystals or frost, then gently dry it with a paper towel.
3) Grease a sheet of foil (that’s slightly bigger than the salmon so that you can fold it around the fish later) with cooking oil, and lay the salmon in the middle (skin side down).
4) Season the salmon fillet – maybe lemon or orange for a citrus twist?
5) Fold the foil to create somewhat of a loose tent around the fish.
6) Place the foil on the grill and cook the fish for around 16-20 minutes. Make sure that you flip it half-way through, and add more seasoning if needs be.
7) Serve and enjoy!
How to cook frozen salmon in the microwave:
Remove the salmon from its packaging and place it on a microwave-safe plate.
Microwave on ‘defrost’ for one to two minutes.
Does the salmon feel warm? If it does, allow it to sit until it cools down, then microwave it for another one to two minutes, again on ‘defrost.’ If it’s not warm, place it in the microwave straight away and run ‘defrost’ for another one to two minutes.
Repeat the process above until the fish is fully defrosted (generally speaking, this takes six to eight minutes per pound of salmon).
Once defrosted, cut the salmon into smaller pieces, and that they are no thicker than two inches.
Season to taste, and add two tablespoons of water to the plate.
Cover the plate with microwave-safe cling film, ensuring that it’s a tad loose to let the steam escape.
At this point, you’ll want to microwave the fish on ‘high’ for approximately three to six minutes, depending on how many ounces of salmon you’re cooking. Start by microwaving it for three minutes to ensure you don’t overcook it.
Fully cooked salmon should be flaky. If the fish isn’t flaky, return to the microwave for a minute at a time, and repeat until the salmon is ready.