medium onion, peeled and diced
red pepper, diced
green pepper, seeded and diced
cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
chorizo sausage, chopped into chunks
skinless, raw diced chicken
red hot chilli pepper, seeded and chopped
sticks celery diced (optional)
easy cook long grain rice
- 2 tsps chilli powder
Cajun spice mix
chicken stock or vegetable stock
Sea salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onion, peppers, garlic, chorizo and chicken pieces and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chilli pepper, celery (if using) and rice and stir well. Add the chilli powder, turmeric and Cajun spices, mix well; making sure the rice is well coated with the flavours and season well with sea salt and black pepper.
- Add the chicken stock or water and bring to a simmer, once the rice is nearly cooked, about 20-25 minutes, add the frozen peas and mix well and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the rice and chicken are cooked.
- Taste for seasoning and add sea salt and black pepper and more Cajun spice, according to taste. If a little dry add more stock.
You can add king prawns to this dish and also chopped parsley.
Info per serving
* The nutritional information relating to a prepared statement after serving (190g)
**GDA = Guideline Daily intake based on a food intake of 2,000 kcal. Personal requirements vary depending on age, sex, weight and physical activity.